West Africa is a major cashew producer: Nine countries in the region generate 35-40% of global production, and Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, and Benin are among the world’s top five exporters of raw cashew nuts.
Working closely with the African Cashew Alliance (ACA), the Trade Hub is improving productivity and processing capacity for firms in Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, and Ghana. We work to:
- Increase the value of exports and ensure that the region’s nuts are increasingly branded by source.
- Encourage the ACA to expand cashew processing by women-owned companies.
- Improve the ACA’s ability to gather and deliver cashew product data to its members and strengthen member-based organizations’ capacity to support producers.
- Advise on the creation of more environmentally friendly production and waste disposal systems.
Enhance local processors’ management capacity.
- November 22, 2016 More than 5,000 visitors and 20 exhibitors and institutional partners met in Abidjan from November 17-19 at the second edition of the International Exhibition of Cashew Processing Equipment and Technologies (SIETTA). With 700,000 tons of cashew produced in 2015, Côte d’Ivoire has surpassed India to become the world’s largest cashew producer. However, only 10% of this ...Read more
- September 26, 2016 A key strategic object of the West Africa Trade and Investment Hub is to build the regional capacity of partners. One example is the collaboration with the Global Shea Alliance (GSA) to promote its organizational sustainability and improve service delivery to its membership. The goal of this collaboration is to increase the amount of shea ...Read more
- September 19, 2016 Through an agreement signed September 8 with Trade Hub, the regional Coris Bank group—with subsidiaries in Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Mali, Togo, and soon Benin and Senegal—will award up to $17 million in loans for business expansion of small and medium processors and exporters working in cereals, cashew, shea, and other value chains. The Trade ...Read more
- August 16, 2016 Two cashew businesses in Côte d’Ivoire have benefited from the Trade Hub’s network of Financial Advisors earlier this year, receiving a total of US$6.26 million as working capital and investment for a new cashew-processing facility. This type of financing supports the Ivorian Government’s policy to promote increased cashew processing in-country, generating jobs and furthering investments. The ...Read more
- May 23, 2016 Three days of intensive instruction in cashew business management and new market information system (MIS) technologies launched the African Cashew Alliance’s (ACA) second phase of its regional trainings for select industry players from Burkina Faso, Mali and Côte d’Ivoire. The May 17-19 workshop in Cote d’Ivoire’s commercial capital, Abidjan, was part of an 18-month training series ...Read more
- March 9, 2016 Côte d’Ivoire leads West Africa in regional and global exports of fresh mangoes, and is well positioned to become the world’s largest producer of raw cashew nuts. In February 2016, the Trade Hub spent three weeks assessing plantations, meeting exporter associations, and visiting processing facilities in northern Côte d’Ivoire and uncovered multiple obstacles—and promising assets—to ...Read more