West Africa’s extensive livestock sector plays a pivotal role in reducing poverty and improving food security. Regional trade in cattle, goats, and sheep is a driving force for development of the sector, with animals and meat moving from producer countries in the Sahel to large and increasingly urban coastal markets.
The Trade Hub works with West African livestock producers, traders, and associations to increase the quantity and quality of animals and meat sold in regional markets to meet growing demand at competitive prices. Our assistance includes:
- Increasing the volume of high-quality fattened animals that arrive in coastal market countries.
- Improving veterinary services both before and after transport of the animals.
- Enhancing opportunities for women to become actively involved in the livestock sector.
- Strengthening national livestock federations and helping the regional livestock interprofessional association expand its membership base.
- Supporting the creation of a livestock market information system.
Livestock sector partners include the Confédération des Fédérations Nationales de la Filière Bétail/Viande (COFENABVI), the regional livestock interprofessional association, and the national livestock federations in Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, and Senegal.
- February 6, 2017 A Market Information System (MIS) for West Africa’s livestock sector should launch in a few weeks, with the Trade Hub’s facilitation support to integrate the needs of COFENABVI with the new CILSS program, during a January 27 meeting with key stakeholders in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The Trade Hub’s Value Chain Team Lead, Bill Noble, and Livestock ...Read more
- February 6, 2017 National livestock federations in Togo and Mali have improved their financial standing—and member services—through membership fees and partner support following Trade Hub workshops, executive members said during a three-day meeting in Lomé, Togo. The Trade Hub organized the January 30-February 1 meeting to share experiences and lessons learned from the 2015 and 2016 workshops on mobilizing ...Read more
- January 30, 2017 The Trade Hub and Resilience and Economic Growth in the Sahel – Accelerated Growth (REGIS-AG) will soon sign a partnership agreement to leverage support for West Africa’s farmers and agricultural traders. In meetings in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso in mid-January and December 2016, officials from the two USAID projects identified areas where the projects could join forces ...Read more
- January 30, 2017 In 2010, Madame Maïga approached the Niger Livestock Federation (FNGIP) with the idea of setting up a cooperative of women livestock fatteners to facilitate export. The result is the 98 woman strong Association Nigérienne des Femmes Emboucheuses, Eleveuses et Entrepreneures pour le Developpement (ANFED) drawn from all over Niger, whose main objective is to pool ...Read more
- December 20, 2016 The Trade Hub brokered a November 28-29 meeting between livestock fatteners’ networks from Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso to encourage the Niger Livestock Fatteners’ Network to fatten livestock for sale in regional markets and to formalize its process of record keeping on these transactions. The Niger Livestock Fatteners’ Network was established in April 2016 for ...Read more
- December 5, 2016 Following on from the decisions taken at COFENABVI regarding capacity building support to COFENABVI national associations, Jean-Didier Nacoulma, the Trade Hub Capacity Building Lead and Gender Specialist, met with the Executive Committee of GHAFLIP in Accra on November 23 to discuss the organizational status of the Federation and finalize plans for capacity building work. Nacoulma agreed ...Read more
- December 5, 2016 The board of directors of West Africa’s livestock association met with Trade Hub leadership on upcoming priorities to develop the sector at a Nov. 15-16 meeting in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. At the board meeting of COFENABVI (Confédération des Fédérations Nationales de la filière de bétail et viande de l’Afrique de l’Ouest), all parties reviewed priorities ...Read more
- November 28, 2016 Last week, the Trade Hub traveled to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso to meet in a USAID-sponsored Partnership meeting with representatives of numerous other projects working in a specific region of Niger and Burkina Faso, and in particular the REGIS-AG and REGIS-ER projects. The Trade Hub met with numerous projects working in the region, and was able ...Read more
- September 29, 2016 When Kouraogo Momouni began transporting racehorses across the Ghana-Upper Volta border with his uncles in 1960, things were much different. Then only 12 years old, he had thought that selling racehorses at the Accra Polo grounds would be his lifelong vocation. Soon, people began requesting other animals, and his family’s racehorse business expanded to make ...Read more
- September 19, 2016 From September 1-12, Operation Tabaski 2016 helped move more than 80,000 animals from Mali and Burkina to secondary markets in Cote d’Ivoire, generating total sales estimated at $10.3 million. To leverage the high demand of Ivorian livestock markets during the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Adha or Tabaski, the Trade Hub collaborated with national and regional livestock associations ...Read more
- September 6, 2016 Niger’s delegation, delayed by robbers and severe road harassment, arrived late to the Salon International Bétail-Viande de l’Afrique de l’Ouest (SIBVAO) 2016, West Africa’s first livestock trade show. The 44-member delegation arrived on Saturday in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, having shepherded more than 1,000 heads of livestock across the region, instantly doubling the number of animals ...Read more
- August 31, 2016 Working with the regional livestock federation and its national federations in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Cote d’Ivoire, the Trade Hub is continuing preparations for Operation Tabaski 2016, which will help Sahelian traders reach new markets in Cote d’Ivoire. The operation involves strengthening collaboration among the three national federations, building their capacity to provide services to ...Read more
Burkinabe traders explore Ivorian livestock market potential, plan logistics for Operation Tabaski 2016August 9, 2016With members of Burkina Faso’s National Livestock Federation, the Trade Hub traveled to Côte d’Ivoire in late July to meet with potential buyers in major Ivorian livestock markets and establish new commercial relationships in preparation for Operation Tabaski 2016. During this initiative, the Trade Hub is collaborating with Sahelian livestock federations for the upcoming Muslim festival ...Read more
- June 3, 2016 More than 200 high-level West African government representatives and livestock value chain stakeholders attended the June 2 announcement of the region’s first regional livestock tradeshow, Salon International Bétail-Viande d’Afrique de l’Ouest (SIBVAO). Hosted by the regional livestock association, Confederation des Federations de la Filière Bétail-Viande en Afrique de l’Ouest (COFENABVI-AO) with support from USAID’s West ...Read more
- April 15, 2016 The Trade Hub, in collaboration with the Niger Livestock Federation (FNGIP), the Livestock Interprofessional (IP.BVCP) and the Confédération des Fédérations Nationales de la Filière Bétail/Viande des pays de l’Afrique de l’Ouest (COFENABVI) organized a four-day workshop from April 11-14 for 22 livestock farmers as a first step towards establishing a network of commercial fatteners in ...Read more